Tuesday 15 February 2011

If you got something to say, say it; if you haven't, buy a slogan t-shirt*


Who thinks this t-shirt is stupid? Read it:


This machine hasn't killed many fascists recently
But it has murdered quite a few beautiful songs
You can't go on the internet with on an old wooden guitar
But there's nowhere you can't travel on a song

Borne of the collaboration betwixt Norse Projects and Jody Barton, the fact that I considered buying it only shows my obsession with all things Scandinavian.

Funnily enough, Bobby Bacala (RIP) gave a great piece of advice about buying clothes in the Sopranos cookbook. This is about as far as I'd take sartorial counsel from a man whose default work shirt is Hawaiian.

"Try the shirt on and ask yourself one question: do I feel cocky? If you do, buy it. If you don't put it back."

Great shout from Bobby. That said, you do have to wonder how this shirt passed the test:



Whilst I like the artwork of Jody Barton, featured in a range of Norse Projects t-shirts, I wouldn't feel cocky in this garment. On the contrary, I'd expect any reasonable passer-by to give me a whack upside the head.

I wouldn't even feel justified in defending myself. I'd sit there under a brutal flurry of punches, knowing I deserved each and every one of them, simply because I had someone's else's (pretentious) words daubed across my chest.

Hell, this moves me to propose a general rule:

Clothes Rule #1:

Slogan t-shirts, like tattoos and poetry inside birthday cards, only certify vacuity unless the message is your own.

* Technically, this is not a slogan t-shirt

No comments:

Post a Comment